Saturday, April 30, 2011

Rag-who?

A birthday present subscription to Australian Good Food magazine thanks to my MIL gave me direction for this recipe.  I am not always one to cook Italian but in the last week I have made Osso Bucco and now this - it must be the change in the weather....FINALLY we have the beautiful 30 degree days and breezes that make living here so beautiful... and the nights are cool enough that thoughts of stews and slow simmered dishes are replacing the previous staple menu items of salads, light asian dishes and BBQs.
My magazine tells me that tagliatelle with ragu is romantic.... I don't know about that but it was certainly delicious!

15g dried porcini mushrooms
1/4 cup olive oil
50g unsalted butter
1 small onion finely chopped
1 small carrot finely chopped
1 celery stalk finely chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
100g chopped pancetta
200g pork mince
200g veal mince
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup red wine
400g tomato passata
2 bay leaves

Soak porcini in hot water while you get on with the rest of things...
Heat oil & butter and cook onion, celery, carrot and garlis till soft
Add pancetta and cook 3-4 minutes
Add pork & veal and cook 10 minutes till brown.  Season
Add tomato paste and cook 3 minutes till darker in colour
Add wine and simmer 10 mins till absorbed
Add tomato passata, chopped porcini & bay leaves
Here I transferred mine to my slow cooker as we were going out and I just let that cook away on low for 6 hours but the recipe says to simmer on the stove stirring every 30 mins for 2 hrs.
Serve with taglitelle and to each delicious bowl-ful add a tablespoon of fresh ricotta stirred through the sauce & pasta.
Pour yourself a glass of red wine.
Snuggle up on the couch with pasta and red wine in your PJs and enjoy.....

2 comments:

  1. Snuggling up in PJs on the couch with a glass of wine and a serve of ragu makes for a very comforting image :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. all sounds wonderful!! This sounds similar to a Bolognese recipe I make. yum!!

    ReplyDelete