Monday, April 4, 2011

Phở

Mmmm I made this delicious dinner the other night.  Since going to Vietnam I have fallen in love with Phở and was keen to try to make my own.  It's one of those dishes where the broth is really the hero of the dish so stock cubes are out of the question! I simmered beef bones and some beef offcuts together with some spices for about 5 hours and then strained and discarded the solids.  At the last minute you add cooked rice noodles and raw beef. so it just barely cooks in the hot broth.  Then you dump in a big pile of bean sprouts, basil, mint, coriander/cilantro, chilli, fish sauce and squeeze lime over it all. Really good!
The recipe I used was from Charmaine Solomon's Complete Asian cook book - available online to view recipes if you google it.  I also looked at Luke Nguyen's recipe, he is a famous chef over here with his own Vietnamese travel/cooking show.  He also has a restaurant in Sydney that I would love to go to one day called Red Lantern.  His recipe was a lot more complicated than Charmaine Solomon's so I will have to wait until I am next in Sydney to try his version... (Wishing!!)
Luke Nguyen's recipe is here: http://insidecuisine.com/2010/03/06/pho-fat-noodle/ and you can watch some of his episodes of his show online here: http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/lukenguyen/watchonline/page/i/1/show/lukenguyen


Oh and the fish sauce you can see in the photo is from Phu Quoc Island - we found it in Carnarvon!

3 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I make chicken stock fairly often but I must make beef next so I can try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i need to remember to not look at family blogs until after ive eaten something.. this sounds delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily I was thinking the same thing about your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete