Sunday, April 10, 2011

Chicken Rice for the soul....

There seems to be a common thread of home-made-stock-based-recipes happening in my household right now.  My all time favourite meal in the whole world (this month) is chicken rice.  I first ate it in Penang which (amongst a few other Asian places) claims to be the birthplace of this recipe.  Basically it is poached chicken, rice first fried in chicken fat and then steamed in chicken stock served with the chicken broth as a soup and a chilli sauce on the side.  It is all sorts of good.
We made it last night.  Well ok, Justin made it.  But I chopped a spring onion.

A whole chook is stuffed with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, spring onions and chinese rice wine and then poached in a homemade chicken stock.  Then it is removed and brought to room temperature and sliced and served over the tasty rice.  The chilli sauce is a combination of fresh chillis, garlic, ginger, chicken stock, lime and salt.

 Mmmm I think I am going to go eat a serve of this for breakfast right now!

4 comments:

  1. ooohhh, looks good!! i may hafta try it out, im always looking for fun chicken recipies because chicken is usually a pretty good price

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love this in Asia - his method sounds pretty authentic - would love to try again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you for this one Lily, it sounds really tasty to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds beautiful!! something "new" for chicken!

    ReplyDelete