Thursday, March 31, 2011

Singapore: Part One - The proposal

The first morning in Singapore Justin got me up early and bustled me down to breakfast.  When I asked why the rush he said he had a special tour planned.  After breakfast we went outside and there was a limo-cab waiting for us! The driver had already (somehow!) been told by Justin exactly when and where he wanted to go - I just thought we were going on a tour of Singapore - but in a really nice car!

The first stop was the famous Raffles Hotel, it is an amazingly beautiful building and the birthplace of the iconic Singapore Sling.  It was fairly early in the morning so we didn't have cocktails just yet.... 
 But we did get a cheesy tourist snap with the doorman!
Then we went to Chinatown.  It was really quiet (again it was fairly early morning) and Chinatown really gets going after dark.  The decorations for Chinese New Year were still up and the place looked very festive

 Then we drove over to Sentosa Island.  This is where they have a Universal Studios, a crazy cable car ride and a few other theme parks.  Its also where the MERLION lives.  Half mermaid/half lion, it stands about ten stories high and is UG-LY.  But you know - it is very famously Singapore. Its one of those things you need to tick off while being a tourist :)
After this the limo-cab didn't seem to be driving anywhere near any more touristy things....eventually I found out that he was driving to 42 Faber Drive, the place that mom and dad and I lived in when we lived in Singapore! What a surprise! The place looked like I remembered it, although I was only 6 when I lived here.


I like this photo a lot.  About ten seconds after I took this photo he asked me to marry him.





And I said YES!

3 comments:

  1. everybody now : AAAWWWEEEE :) what awesome pictures jessie!! that Raffles Hotel building is gorgeous! did you guys go in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was a cool building - yes we went in and the next post will include pictures of us having Singapore Slings at the iconic Long Bar inside! Such a fun holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been waiting for you to post about this! So cool to see pictures of the places you were telling me about. Singapore looks like a really pretty city. Were the people living in your old house weirded out by random tourists taking photos out front??

    ReplyDelete