Friday, January 21, 2011

Queensland floods & animals

One of the girls at work said to me the other day that she and her hubby went and borrowed some DVDs the other day insted of watching tv because they were so tired of continually hearing bad news.. and in a way I understand.  Although I tend to be one of those who in a tragedy stays transfixed to the tv, even I have had enough.  It has been a very crappy month for all Australians.  After Carnarvon was inundated with flood waters it seemed as if we were trapped on a sucky merry-go-round as the flooding passed from state to state, first and most dramatically Queensland, where at one stage 75% of the state was underwater (Queensland is over 2000 square miles bigger than the state of Alaska).  Then it just seems to move south, New South Wales is flooded and now even Victoria is flooded.  All you see on the news is upset people who have lost their homes or businesses or loved ones... I have never been so bombarded with the terms peaking, levy bank and sandbags more times in my life.
However success stories too are coming hard and fast.... there was a news article today about a Queensland woman whose house remained high and dry had taken holidays from her job to cook pretty much around the clock to feed hungry rescue workers.
I discovered a new blog today http://jigsawsthoughts.blogspot.com/ and from it have borrowed these great photos (thanks Julie) of some of the animal chaos in the Australian floods.








Good 'ol Aussie battler spirit!

5 comments:

  1. Great blog link - and to so many more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to go check out the other blog too, awesome stuff! I think I have to agree with your friend...I get too depressed by all the sad news over and over. Time to watch some cooking shows for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessie, Queensland is MUCH bigger than Alaska.
    I did a quick goolge of their respective Km^2 and came up with rough averages of;

    AK: 1482970 Km^2
    QLD: 10727257 Km^2
    WA: 2529875 Km^2

    QLD - AK = 9244287 Km^2 or 3569239 mi^2.

    WA - AK = 1046905 Km^2 or 404212 mi^2

    Ya'll just have big states.

    :)

    later,

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. WA is about twice as big as QLD.... but its way too early in the morning for me to do maths... :)

    ReplyDelete