Thursday, January 27, 2011

Australia Day

Australia day is one of my favourite public holidays.... the mood is always super relaxed and there is no real plan for the day.
We started off with a sleep in followed by mango smoothies.  A friend gave me a carton of mangos that are just huge but delicious - so big I couldn't eat my way through a whole one for breakfast the other morning! The smoothies just had mango, milk, icecream and vanilla yoghurt.
After that we lazed around the house, put on fake tattoos, talked to family in the US on facebook, watched cricket and listened to the triple j radio station hottest 100.  The count down has always been traditional on Australia Day - it provides a great sound-track!
Mom came over for a really late lunch of snags, onions and potatoes on the barbeque and she brought over a really good layered salad.  I told her the layered salad will have to go into popular rotation from now on - it was great! Desert was of course pavlova After beating the egg whites i dumped it all onto the baking sheet and the splat it made looked a little like Australia... so with a bit of creative license and a spoon I went with it.  Those of you who know me well will no I do not have an artistic bone in my body so this is about as close as it gets! :-) Whatever it looked like, covered in MORE mangos and kiwis it was delicious! Then we had a few beers and watched more cricket, caught up with some friends and then came home to watch the fireworks.  They set them off from the water just outside our house so we just wandered down our driveway a bit and got a great view.  It was a pretty good show for small town Carnarvon!
And then it was back to work on Thursday.... Its always so hard to go back to work after a public holiday!


Facebook and cricket - a fun lazy day!







 Sausage sizzle with onions and tomato sauce, bbq potatos and layered salad.



MMMMmmmmm pavlova - my favourite! 


Oh and later that day I bet Justin's god-daughter $20 she wouldn't lick her pet frog.  Best $20 I've spent in a long time, I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard!

1 comment:

  1. $20, $20 - So now it's a tradition on this side of the ocean!

    ReplyDelete