Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Rivers, rain and the 'D' word

http://www.bom.gov.au/gms/IDE00005.latest.shtml

See that swirl on the left?? That just about on us!

45 Celsius on Saturday, humid and still yesterday and 60km hour winds forecast for this Saturday night.... Very strange.....

I hope we get a river out of this but this can only happen if lots of ran falls inland.  We haven't had a river (ie - any water flowing on the surface of our upside down river) for well over a year which means all the water underground that the growers use to produce the beautiful Carnarvon fruit and veg is drying up. The scary "D" word is even being used by some plantation owners....... (Shhhhhh - say it quietly! Drought)

As you can see from this http://kumina.water.wa.gov.au/waterinformation/telem/stage.cfm we have big fat nothing yet..... The Gascoyne is our river that flows pretty much right through town and the Lions river feeds into it further inland at Gascoyne Junction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gascoyne_Junction,_Western_Australia I added this link because I like how the population at the Junction is 46.  I think I know all those people!

So here's hoping that big swirl moves inland and we get a festive river flowing!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a little funny, we are all hoping for snow for Christmas. Snow would mean NOT-40 more like 0-ish. Besides it is so pretty! You are all hoping for rain...I will be sure to toast some nog to precipitation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have had some rain...almost 2 inches today. I'm ready to be done now. And I would toast to that :-)

    ReplyDelete