Thursday, August 26, 2010

Donna Hay Asian Chicken


Over the last couple of months I have started to like Donna Hay's recipes.... I have always seen her books and magazines around but the photography was so complicated and stylised that I assumed the recipes would be too.  Luckily for me I was given a recipe book of hers by Justin's brother and his other half and since then I am the converted! Her recipes are simple, beautiful, back to basics cooking.
Last night we made a recipe of hers that has become a routine weeknight dinner in our household.  Chicken breasts are poached for five minutes or so each side in a liquid made up of a splash of sesame oil, 2 star anise, a tablespoon or so of grated ginger, 1/4 cup of soy sauce, tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 cup Chinese cooking wine and a cinnamon stick.  We just serve it with some veggies that have be stir fried in a wok with garlic and chili and a splash of stock and some rice and its delicious! I guess you could thicken up the sauce with some cornflour after the chicken is cooked but just poured over rice is very simple and good.

No comments:

Post a Comment